The Inn is of a unique character as it takes it's design from old, English farmhouses; the details and craftsmanship of the Inn are truly spectacular.
The land the Beauport Inn Bed & Breakfast was built on was initially owned by the Perkins family, the first settlers in the York/Ogunquit community. It was used as a farm, and cows grazed in the fields. The original farmhouse, built in the 17th century, still exists. It's now a private residence, across the road from the Inn.
In 1999, George and Cathy Wilson purchased the remaining 11 acres of the original farm. In 2001, they decided to build on the property. They went to the Cotswolds in England for two weeks and took pictures of old English style farmhouses as inspiration. When they returned, they had plans drawn up and decided to construct the Inn out of granite composite, done in a rustic style of masonry. They incorporated many historical pieces for the interior design.
The Inn was designed by a local artist and
meticulously built by talented Maine craftspeople.
Designed from old English farmhouses, the Beauport Inn, an Ogunquit B&B, was built in 2002.
The 150-year-old stained glass front doors at the Beauport Inn B&B in Ogunquit are from a hotel in London.
The original farmhouse, built in the 1700's, is now a private residence across the road from the Beauport Inn B&B in Ogunquit.
The paneling in the Great Room at the Beauport Inn B&B in Ogunquit is from a London men's club, and dates back to the 1800's.
Beauport Inn B&B, Ogunquit. A wood frame was constructed to make this stained glass panel into a beautiful ceiling light.
Beauport Inn B&B, Ogunquit, reclaimed antique oak mantle, meticulously restored.
Reclaimed stained glass doors at the Beauport Inn B&B in Ogunquit.
Doors to steam room and sauna at the Beauport Inn Bed & Breakfast in Ogunquit.
Marble basin set into antique bureau - one of the many pieces of antique furniture that shares the Beauport Inn B&B with our guests.
Masonry pieces in the fireplace at the Beauport Inn B&B are from an old house in Yugoslavia.
Two granite/cement monk heads over the garage at the Beauport Inn B&B in Ogunquit are a sign of good luck and happiness.
Fisherman statue on roof of Beauport Inn B&B in Ogunquit. Everywhere you look, both inside and out, there's something interesting to discover.
Made by Innkeeper Linda, this stained glass piece conveys the spirit of the Beauport Inn B&B in gay friendly Ogunquit.
The first thing you'll see as you enter the Inn are the 150-year-old stained glass front doors, brought over from a hotel in London.
Next is the Great Room, whose wood paneling comes from a London men’s social club that dates back to the 1800's. Names of various officials of the club are listed on top of each panel. One, Sir Vezey Strong. was once mayor of London and appointed a Lord.
On the ground floor, rosewood doors leading into a private, tiled steam room are from a villa in Saudi Arabia. They were carved by Turks, and had been used to hide the Saudi women in the courtyards from view.
Floors throught the Inn are 14-inch wide white pine, inlaid with Colonial square nails. In 1997, an ice storm in northern Maine damaged many trees. The Inn's floors come from trees whose tops were destroyed, leaving only the trunks. As a result, the boards are wide, and there are very few knots in the wood.
Masonry pieces in the Great Room's fireplace are from an old house in Yugoslavia. Two granite/cement monk heads above the
garage doors, from a mansion in Northern Massachusetts, are a sign of good luck and happiness. Wherever you look, there's something interesting to see.
Since the Beauport Inn was designed as a bed and breakfast -- not converted from a private residence, as many b&b's are -- it combines beauty and functionality. It took 380 days to complete construction, but it was well worth the effort. The Inn is truly one-of-a-kind.